Martha was born on 23rd February 1805 in Skipton and her parents were James Ellison and Arabella Kitching Ellison.  She was the second wife of Thomas Moorhouse (1808-1845).

They were married on 31st March 1835 at Carleton In Craven and their first son John was born 14th May 1835.  Thomas' first wife, Sarah, had died in 1833 and Martha was stepmother to Thomas' two daughters, Mary Ann and Ellen.

The couple were renting Hesliker Farm from the Tempest Estate at a cost of 72 pounds per year.  On modern maps the farm is now called Heslaker. 

For details on the location of the various farms around Skipton go to Places/Skipton Area Map.


Alice (Thomas's Mother) moved in with the family after the death of her husband John in 1838. 

Martha and Thomas had five more sons:
James Ellison (born 24th March 1837),
Edward (born 14th February 1839),
Thomas (born 4th April 1841),
William (born 8th April 1843) and
Samuel who was born after his father died in 1845 (unfortunately Samuel died at only 11 weeks old).

In the year before he died Thomas was renting Hesliker Farm and The Bull Inn and a small farm at Broughton from The Tempest Estate.  For more details of the farms rented from the Tempest Estate go to Places/Tempest Estate.

After Thomas died in 1845 Martha moved her family to The Bull and on the 1851 census she was the Inn Keeper and farmed 46 acres of land employing two men.  By the 1861 census she is still the Inn Keeper but is only farming 26 acres of land.  On the 1871 census she calls herself The Inn keeper but her son Edward describes himself as the manager. For more details please go to Businesses/Bull Inn.

Martha died by accidentally falling from a dogcart on the 28th December 1873 at the age of 68.   In her will she left "personal effects" of £800.

Her son Edward continued to manage The Bull as shown on the 1881 census until his death in 1885 when his widow Alice took over the management. On the 1891 census she is the Inn Keeper and continues to rent the inn from The Tempest Estate until 1900. The Moorhouse family had run The Bull Inn for over 50 years.






Biographies/Martha Moorhouse 1805>