Francis Moorhouse (who was usually known as Frank) was the 7th and last son of William Moorhouse (1843-1917) and his wife Angiolina.  See Biographies/William Moorhouse 1843.

He was born on 19th August 1889 at 30 Alexandra Road in Burley. His father William had started his business of producing Lemon Cheese and its allied products at this address in 1887.

Later in 1889 the family moved to 6 Lofthouse Place, which was a larger house and had a stable and warehouse at the back.

Frank would have been involved at an early age with the production of Lemon Cheese, Orange Marmalade and Mincemeat.

By 1893 the business was supporting William, Angiolina and three of the older sons.  Mr Laxton, a business associate of Williams recalled visiting the house in about 1895 and seeing Angiolina cutting out by hand from greaseproof paper the discs, which in those days were placed on the surface of the jars of Lemon Cheese to prevent evaporation and crystallization after packing.  There were also two or three hired hands to help production.  


At the First Grocers' Exhibition held in Leeds, William had a stand displaying his products and he won a Diploma of Merit for the high quality of his Lemon Cheese. 

Additional premises were taken in Camp Road and after two years they took a larger premises at Proctors Place off Meanwood Road.

Angiolina (Frank's Mother) died 22 March 1908, aged 55 years of cancer of the liver at Lofthouse Place.  She is buried at Killingbeck cemetery (Roman Catholic Cemetery) on York Road in Leeds.

In the 1911 census Frank is living at 6 Lofthouse Place with his Father and 4 brothers and is working as a Manager at a Drapery business.
Frank and his brother Ted were keen motor bikers and would take day trips out on their bikes. Frank was called up for military service during the 1st world War and served with The Kings Own Light Infantry. He was a private and was sent to West Africa where he contracted malaria.
Frank's father William died on 15th April 1917 of cancer of the oesophagus and is buried with Angiolina at Killingbeck Cemetr.

After the war he married Maude in 1919 in Wetherby and they had four children, Margaret, Maureen, William and Moira.  The family lived at 20 Bentley Grove, Meanwood and Frank had a tailoring business employing a tailor to make up suits, jackets and trousers.

In the 1930's Frank joined William Moorhouse & Sons on the sales side and became a Director of the company.

The family moved to a house on Old Lane Beeston, opposite the factory.  Frank and Maud's children attended St Anthony's school, and Frank sponsored the St Anthony's School football team kit in the 1934/35 season.

To the greater glory of God
and in pious memory
of Charles, Baldisaro
and Leo Moorhouse
their brothers Joseph,
William Edward and Francis
gave this altar on
20th October 1934

The family attended mass at St Anthony's church and Maureen would marry there after the war.

Joseph, together with his brothers William Edward and Francis provided the Marble altar rails (since removed) and the marble Altar at St Anthony's Catholic Church, which has an inscription on the side, in Latin.

The translation is shown on the left.


Frank was skilled at bartering and during the period of the 2nd World War and afterwards, eggs and butter were never in short supply at their house.

Frank was a season ticket holder at Leeds United and also enjoyed horse racing.

The family moved to 179 Adel Lane, which had been the home of Joseph Moorhouse.  The family would attend mass at the local hotel, "The Lawnswood Arms" since there was no Catholic Church in Adel.  The priest always made sure he went to Frank and Maud's house afterwards to have a good breakfast!

  Frank died in about 1960 and Maude in 1979






Biographies/Francis Moorhouse 1889 >