was born in Appiano Gentile, near Lake Como, in Italy on 5th May 1803. He
was the 2nd of 6 children of Innocento and Antonia (née Fontana)
The family had a substantial
property in Appiano (which bears
the family name and their heraldic coat-of-arms
apparently three leaks and situated over the gateway entrance)
and several members of the family were doctors and lawyers or involved in
the silk trade. [Additional
pictures are shown Photographs/Baldisaro Porri].
had the right of appointing a priest to the church, generally one of their
sons was appointed. They were also patrons of a chapel in
Stephen's Church in Appiano. [Additional
pictures are shown Photographs/Baldisaro Porri]. The Pooro family supplied the
Roman Catholic Church with three Canons, Aurelio, Angelo and Massimiliano
over the centuries.
The Blessed Angelo Porro is also believed to be a member of
the family. "Porro" and "Porri" are
interchangeable in Italy, "o" being the singular ending and "i" being the plural
one. More details are given under Biographies/Blessed Porro.
Baldisaro was sent to England in 1817, when he was only 14, to learn a trade
with Mr Nava in London. He was badly treated and practically abandoned so he
decided to return to Appiano by hitchhiking across Europe. Apparently his parents
did not recognise him on his return, as he was so bedraggled.
A new apprenticeship was arranged with a Mr Alfieri in Halifax,
at a cost of 250 lire, and Baldisaro returned to England in 1819. He was trained
as a jeweller and silversmith. He also learnt to make barometers. He
would travel on business to various locations including Skipton.
was happy in Halifax, as confirmed in a letter
written by his father Innocent. After his apprenticeship expired
he decided to move to Skipton and met a local girl called Mary Ovington,
who was described in the "Pioneer" as
an active, good looking women, the daughter of one of Skipton's oldest inhabitants.
She was born on the 23rd August 1806 to John Ovington and Ann, whose
maiden name was Cork. Baldisaro and Mary married on the 5th August 1828
at Broughton Hall Catholic Chapel. However due to the law they were required
to be married first in the local Church of England.
Baldisaro was an unusual name in England so he was often mistakenly
given the name Benjamin, a biblical name favoured by Nonconformists and
Jewish people at this time. He is often listed in early trade directories under
this name. In the banns of his marriage Baldisaro crossed out Benjamin
and replaced it with Baldisaro.
Baldisaro was a devout Catholic, but when he moved to Skipton
there was no catholic church so the Catholics of Skipton would walk the 5 miles
to Broughton Hall Catholic Chapel to celebrate Mass. The Tempest family,
who own Broughton Hall, were no longer allowed to be buried at Broughton parish
church by an act of Parliament passed in 1824 (part of ongoing anti Catholic
measures) so a new chapel was required which was to be called St. Stephen after
Baldisaro's family church in Appiano. A full page is available about
St. Stephen's Church in Skipton Places/St.
Catholics were often insulted and persecuted, so the Broughton
and Skipton Catholics decided to set up a library on January 1, 1835 run
by Baldisaro. 200 books were stored in his house together with leaflets
to present the Catholic point of view, which he distributed to those wishing
to read them.
Infant mortality was terrible in those days and of the 15
children Baldisaro and Mary had, 10 died in infancy. The children (listed
in a signed document by Baldisaro
) are buried in the graveyard at Holy Trinity
Church in Skipton, as there was no catholic graveyard at the time. Five children
survived to adulthood and of these: -
- Monica was the only one not to marry.
- Charles Porri (the only surviving son who continued to run the family business)
married Santina Fattorini in 1870.
- Angiolina married William Moorhouse (who founded William Moorhouse & sons)
- Mary Jane married Innocent Fattorini (who founded the Skipton branch of
the jewellery business) in 1860.
- Isabella married Innocent Arrigoni (a jeweller) in about 1865.
Baldisaro was very successful in his business [Businesses/Baldisaro
Porri] and was well respected within the local community. He wrote neither
Italian nor English well, in fact he often spelled phonetically and would therefore
have important documents prepared by someone else for his signature. In 1844
he wrote a letter (in Italian) to his sisters and brothers in Appiano describing
what a nice place Skipton
was including a picture. A translation is available. Baldisaro was
very involved in the local community and served on the Board of Health and
on the Board of Guardians who were in charge of the Poor House.
Baldisaro lived at various places in Skipton during his life. On the 1841
census he is listed at Birtwhistle Yard and then at Sheep
Street in 1851. In
1861 his address is Caroline Square (a property he rebuilt
in 1863) for his
son-in-law Innocent Fattorini. In 1871 he is living at Coach Street (another
property he built and from which he operated his business).
In 1864 the local paper, The Pioneer, printed an article "B.P. - 1863" about
Baldisaro which shows what high regard he held in the local community.