Charles Innocent Moorhouse was the second son of William
Moorhouse (1843-1917) and his wife Angiolina and was born on 8th September
1875 when his family was living at 4 Newton Terrace.
He was named Charles
after Angiolina's brother and Innocent after Innocent Fattorini, Angiolina's
brother-in-law, who had died the year before.
Angiolina took her new
baby and her first-born son James [18 months] to see her widowed sister
Mary Jane Fattorini in Skipton and while there James was
taken ill and died of pneumonia on 24th October 1875.
Charles' father William had been working as a grocer for Ellison's
grocery business on the Lowerhead Row but a few years later the
family moved to 129 Park Lane where William started his own grocery
business and also made Lemon Cheese to sell over the counter and to
Lemon Cheese was so popular that William decided to
set up his own business making it and other allied products. William
moved his family to 30 Alexandra Road in Burley in 1887 and started
producing Lemon Cheese full time. In 1889 the family moved
to 6 Lofthouse Place, which was a larger house and had a stable and
warehouse at the back. For more details of the
start of Moorhouse & Sons see Biographies/William
Charles would have been involved at an early age with the production
of Lemon Cheese, Orange Marmalade and Mincemeat.
On the 1891 census he
is listed as a fruit preserver. By 1893 the business was supporting
William, Angiolina and three of the older sons. Mr Laxton, a business
associate of Williams recalled visiting the house in about 1895 and seeing
Angiolina cutting out by hand from greaseproof paper the discs, which
in those days were placed on the surface of the jars of Lemon Cheese
to prevent evaporation and crystallization after packing. There were
also two of three hired hands to help production.
At the First Grocers'
Exhibition held in Leeds, William had a stand displaying his products
and he won a Diploma of Merit for the high quality of his Lemon Cheese.
Additional premises were taken in Camp Road and after two years they
took a larger premises at Proctors Place off Meanwood Road. see Biographies/William
Charles must have changed his mind about his chosen career as by 1901
he is living in lodgings at Skipton and working as a watch jewellery manager
at the Fattorini shop.
The Fattorini shop was operated and owned by Thomas Fattorini, a cousin
The Fattorini jewellery business had realized that most men
did not own a watch and as they were becoming more time-conscious a
watch was becoming a necessity. In America watches were being mass-produced
in a factory in Waltham, Boston. These watches were of the same
quality as hand made watches but because of the production methods they
were considerable cheaper. Fattorini's shop would import the watches
and then they were thoroughly tested before being placed on sale.
Even at a relatively reasonable price the average working man could not
afford one so Fattroinis had the idea of forming Watch Clubs where members
paid in a weekly sum and when enough funds were raised for a watch a ballot
was held and the winner got the watch. The winner would continue to subscribe
along with other members until everyone had a watch and then they would
start on another round of activity for a watch chain or another product.
The watch clubs would also be a reason for a weekly meeting of friends
and a glass or two of beer.
Charles moved to 22 Bath Street Southport and started
work for a John Fattorini who was a watchmaker and jeweller and a relative
of the Skipton Fattorinis.
While Charles was living in Skipton he had been courting
a local girl called Frances Cork (born 14th April 1874 on Sheep Street). Her
father Thomas was a hairdresser and in 1906 Charles and Fanny were
wedding certificate] at St Stephens Catholic church in Skipton, the
groom and bride were at the mature ages of 30 and 32 respectively. Louie
Arrigona, a cousin of Charles, was one of the witnesses.
(Charles' Mother) died 22 March 1908, aged 55 years of cancer of
the liver at Lofthouse Place. She was buried at Killingbeck cemetery
(Roman Catholic cemetery) on York Road in Leeds.
Charles occupation on his wedding certificate
and on the birth of Winifred is a jeweller. The Fattorini shop at Southport
was associated with the Bradford branch of the Fattorini family.
First Charles and Fanny had two children,
(born 16th March 1909 at 57 Oak Street Southport),
[later known as FG] (born 18th August 1910 at 16 Norwood Crescent)
On the 1911
census Charles is described as a retail
jewellery manager and he is living with his wife and two children in
Their third child Dorothy Mary (born 22nd November 1914)was born
at 16 Norwood Crescent.
Charles loved to play the banjo.
Charles was not called up for military service during
the 1st World War, maybe because of his age, 38, or because he was
not well. He died
on the 14 February 1917 at 24 Norwood Crescent Southport of ulcerative
colitis. His cousin Thomas Fattorini was present at his death
and Charles occupation is listed as jeweller's Manager. In his
will Charles left £962 to his family, a reasonable amount for that
buried in Southport.
Charles' father William died on 15th April 1917
and is buried at Killingbeck with his wife Angiolina.
Fanny and her three children returned to Skipton to be near her family
and then they moved to 39 Batchcliffe Drive, Becketts Park in Leeds where
Charles brothers (in particular Joseph) looked after the family.
Fanny died on 27th August 1956, age 82. She had been a widow for nearly