Ann Moorhouse was born in
December 1804 and was christened on the 26th December at Broughton Hall
Catholic Chapel under her Latin name of Anna. After 1815 (when
her three sisters died within the month of May) she was the only surviving
daughter of John Moorhouse (1762-1838) and Alice.
She married James Haggas (a founder of the Keighley
wool manufacturers) on 26th December 1825, at Broughton Hall Chapel.
The couple's first son, William, was born in 1827 while they were living
House Farm, and their second son John was born in 1830 while they
were living in Broughton.
Their next child, Mary, was born in Keighley in 1833. Ellison
Haggas, their third son, was born in 1836 [named after his Aunt Martha
whose maiden name was Ellison]. Another daughter, Martha Ann, was born
in 1840. On the 1841
census they are living at Oakworth
Hall in Keighley.
Ellison Haggas died in 1841 aged 5 years and he is buried at St
John the Evangelist Church Ingrow and according to Harry Speight
his tomb reads
Farewell but not forever lovely
Thy father's life, thy loving Mother's joy
We saw the faces which adorned thy mind
Intent on leaving, dutiful and kind
Though death deprived us of the pleasing sight
We hope to meet thee in the realm of light
By 1845 Ann's two brothers had died and she was
the sole survivor of her generation. On the 1851
census the family had moved to Hainworth
House at Bingley with a fifth child, James Ellison, who was born
in 1850. His middle name of Ellison comes from his Aunt Martha
Moorhouse, whose maiden name was Ellison and probably in memory of
his brother who died in 1841.
Alice Moorhouse (Ann's Mother) gave her a family bible,
and also a cross-stitched bookmark. The Bible has an inscription
in the front.
Another inscription at
the end of the New Testament confirms the gift of the bible. The
bible was printed in 1816 and is dedicated
to Catholics by the publishers. On Ann's death the bible was passed
onto the family of Thomas Moorhouse and used to record family
births and deaths.
Ann Haggas died in 1860 and as in the custom of Victorian
times a brooch was made in her memory, the back of which contains some
hair. [For a full size image with inscription click here].
On the 1861
census James Haggas is still living at Hainworth House and describes
himself as a "worsted spinner and manufacturer" employing
300 women and boys. James Haggas died in 1864 at the age of 60. They
are buried together at St. John the Evangelist Church in Ingrow.
In James Haggas' will he left the princely sum of £25,000.
Sir James Ellison Haggas
Ann and James' youngest son James Ellison was knighted in 1926 for public
and charitable services in Keighley.
For 27 years he was the Chairman and President
of the Keighley conservatives and Unionist association.
He was also a JP.
He is buried at Saint
John the Evangelist church, Ingrow.